Thursday, September 13, 2007

In Ten Years

Where will I be in ten years? That seems like such a huge question. Most of the time I'm not even sure where I'll be in 6 months. I've learned over the past 4 years that situations and dreams can change very quickly and leave you wondering what you'll be doing next. Where I am now and where I knew I was going to be while I was a senior in high school have turned out to be two completely different things. Events happened that changed the road that I was on; as for whether or not it was for the better, who knows? I can tell you that four years ago I certainly didn't see myself as an accounting major working towards a CPA, then again, what kind of kid ever sees their future self as an accountant?

Now that I am here as an accounting major I am still not 100% positive that being an accountant is what I want to do with the rest of my life. It's true that I have faired well in my two accounting classes so far, but I haven't gotten into the more difficult aspects of accounting yet. Accounting is a pretty good fit with the type of person that I am so assuming that I stick with it, which I hope to do, I have a couple of future plans. One thing that I would like to do with a CPA more than anything would be to go into business with my sister. For the longest time she has been wanting to open a restaurant/bar that sold actual old New York style pizza from a brick oven. With her and most of my family being from New York we know what good New York style pizza tastes like and the South just doesn't have it here yet and we believe that that kind of business would do well in our hometown of Gastonia, North Carolina. I would love to be able to take care of the finances for a family owned restaurant like that, but that is something that is far in the future. In the nearer future, after I have gotten my CPA, I would like to work towards some kind of law degree to go with that CPA. I don't see myself taking the lead in court room battles, but definitely working behind the scenes on cases is something that I would love to do.

In ten years I could be achieving these goals or end up finding a completely different direction. Where ever I end up I just hope to be happy and making my family proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your pizza idea sounds like a great plan! I haven't had NY pizza yet, but I have had Chicago deep dish and, of course, the real stuff in Italy. We definitely don't have anything near those here, so I believe you on the NY pizza. We need some new options!